About MLK Day
The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday held on Jan. 18, 2021, is the 26th anniversary of the day of service that celebrates the Civil Rights leader’s life and legacy. MLK Day is the only federal holiday designated as a national day of service. This encourages all Americans to volunteer in efforts to improve their communities. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. continuously advocated for serving others and left a legacy as an example of true service. Dr. King once stated “Everybody can be great because everyone can serve” Join Family Houston serve others by helping in the ways listed below.
Ways to help Family Houston:
- Make facemasks for our staff and clients! For beginning or advanced sewers, this is a great way to help support our staff and keep us safe. Many tutorials can be found online or follow our detailed instructions here.
- Make greeting cards for Family Houston clients! Many of our clients come to us at dark times in their lives, needing urgent assistance with basic needs like housing, food, or needing mental health services from one of our counselors. A few kind words never hurt and can not only brighten someone’s day. Remotely gather friends and family of all ages, as well as your creativity and craft supplies, to create heartfelt cards for your fellow Houstonians! Follow the following card instructions:
- Use basic supplies such as construction paper, scissors, stickers, and markers to make heartfelt cards with positive and encouraging messages for Family Houston clients.
- Consider phrases like, “You got this!” or “Thinking of you”, use encouraging or thoughtful quotes or just draw a picture.
- Please refrain from using language specific to religion or quoting biblical passages.
- Cards do not need to be signed and cards do not need to be put into individual envelopes.
- Avoid using glitter but enjoy embellishing your cards with other crafty items!
- Help stock our shelves with needed supplies! Your in-kind donations will help support individuals and families struggling to make ends meet. Donations on our needs list help our families to maintain every-day needs on their path toward stability. Consider hosting a drive with your family and friends or at your office, business, school, or neighborhood. Donations of all amounts are welcomed!
Masks, cards, and donations can be mailed to or dropped off Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm at:
4625 Lillian Street
Houston, Texas 77007
Be sure to celebrate your service! Take a picture of your actions and tag @familyHouston on Facebook and Instagram!
For additional information or questions please contact Hannah Weier, Director of Volunteer Programs.